What to Expect at the Charlotte Take Steps Road Rally?
and everything you want to do to prepare and enjoy a safe event!
1. What is a Road Rally?
• It is an in-person experience from the comfort of your own car ensuring the health and safety of our IBD community, volunteers and staff. And, before you think it – NO! this is not a birthday party drive by – it’s going to be so much more than that.
• We will offer interactive activities including a Best Decorated Car contest, team photos, an interactive game or two and, of course, will have our program and hear from our honored heroes and recognize our national & local sponsors and our Top Teams and patients!
• This is a unique and creative way for us to come together at a Take Steps event without the concern of being in a large crowd and it’s perfect for those who are tired of completely virtual events and want to get out.
2. Where is it located?
Symphony Park – 4400 Sharon Rd, Charlotte, NC 28211
• Barclay Down Dr: Coming from Morrison Blvd; Make a left at the light on Carnegie Blvd.
• Barclay Down Dr: Coming from Fairview Rd; Make a right at the light on Carnegie Blvd.
3. What time does the event start?
• The event will open at 9:30 am and the program will begin around 11am. If your team will arrive in more than one vehicle, please plan to meet before and then arrive at the same time for check in so we can park you adjacent to each other. Upon arrival you will be asked for your Team name and given a sign with your team’s name to attach to your window or place on your dashboard for easy display and recognition. Team Captains will be expected to provide the number of cars for their team one week prior to the event. Registered individuals are also welcomed to participate.
When: Saturday, May 15, 2021
Arrival Time: 9:30am (Check-in, car decorating)
Program: 11:00 am
Game: 11:30 am
End: 12:00-12:30 pm
*Times subject to change
4. Will there be bathrooms/restrooms?
• Yes, the venue has adequate restrooms available.
5. Do we get out of our vehicles at all?
• You may exit your car once you have parked in your designated area. You can get out to decorate your vehicle, do a light tailgate outside of your car, watch the program or use the restroom there is no other need to get out of your car Everyone must wear masks covering their mouth and nose when outside of the vehicle.
6. Can we Tailgate?
• Yes, you can do a light tailgate in your designated area.
Bring a small table to place items on
Decorate the back of your car
• Check out Pinterest if you need additional ideas!
7. What type of activities can we expect?
• We are adding more activities every day! We can tell you to expect the car decorating contest, the Take Steps program, games, and team photos at your cars. Patients who are registered will be recognized at the event!
8. Will donations be collected at event?
• This is a contactless event, so please mail any collected contributions or encourage your donors to contribute online through your participant page. For the month of May, efforts will be doubled as every donation made to Take Steps will be matched up to $500,000.
• Please include the participant’s name for accurate accounting. Send collected check contributions (made payable to the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation) to: Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation – Attn: Take Steps Charlotte –1100 S Mint St, Suite 204 – Charlotte, NC 28203
9. Is there a cost to participate?
• While there is no cost to participate and everyone is welcome at Take Steps, we encourage everyone to register prior to the event and set a goal of at least $100. Raising $100 is as easy as asking 10 of your friends and family members to donate $10 each. Each person on your team who individually raises $100 through their participant page becomes a Pacesetter and will receive a Take Steps t-shirt. Participants who raised $100 or more online by April 14 should receive their t-shirt in the mail by walk day (if you have not, please let me know!). Participants who raise $100 or more after April 14 will receive their shirt by mail at a later date.
10. Can we decorate our vehicles?
• Yes, and we encourage you to do so, either before arriving or you can decorate the car once parked in your assigned area. Please approach the parking area driving slowly (5 mph) and a volunteer will guide you to your available parking spot that will be safely spaced away from another vehicle. You will be allowed out of your car with your masks on to decorate. You will receive team signs at check-in, but you are encouraged to bring your own decorations.
11. Do we have to wear masks even if inside our vehicles?
• Mask wearing is highly recommended. You must have a mask on when conversing with any of the volunteers or are outside the vehicle. You may remove your masks when your team photos are taken or you are eating and drinking.
• STAFF, VOLUNTEERS & SPONSORS WILL WEAR MASKS AT ALL TIMES.
12. Will there be food/snacks and beverages available?
• In an effort to make sure everyone is safe including our volunteers we will not have food, snacks or beverages available at the event. We are encouraging the teams to bring their own. Check out Pinterest if you need additional ideas!
13. Will the event be held rain or shine?
• Our patients’ symptoms don’t stop during bad weather, so neither do we! Take Steps will take place rain or shine; however, if there is dangerous weather, the chapter will notify participants of alternate plans.